Wednesday, July 21, 2010

What is a Teacher Librarian? First Impressions

As I start my course, I feel I should take the opportunity to define what I see as the role of teacher-librarian. I hope to use this as a means to explain my changing views as we go further into the study of the ETL401 unit but also the course.

To me the role of teacher-librarian is to manage the learning resources of a school. This includes the following:

  • School Library - including the collection of books, audio visual and Internet based material.
  • Provide access to learning resources to students, staff and the wider community.
  • Develop research skills in each student.
  • Ensure that resources are relevant to the learning needs of students.
  • Provide access to the latest resources for students and staff.
  • Identify strategies to further enhance student learning.
  • Provide regular opportunities for students and staff to utilise the library for learning and teaching.